Introducing the new Jerry Bucket
The all-new, life-saving Jerry Bucket was designed by Oxfam’s Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) team, and developed with NRS Relief as manufacturing partner. The design of the 14L bucket has been upgraded so that it serves as a stackable safe water container rather than a multi-purpose bucket.
When arriving in a camp, collecting water is one of the first priorities for refugees. Yet they often have no possessions, and collect clean water, that Oxfam has provided, with dirty containers. The benefits of clean water are then lost. So the rapid distribution of water containers is crucial. This is why Oxfam developed and enhanced the water container design.
In response to feedback from ﬁeld workers and beneﬁciaries, Oxfam has upgraded the existing 14-litre bucket by incorporating three key design considerations based on cleanliness:
- The new HDPE lid is tightly ﬁtted and stays on the bucket body through an improved rimlock design, ensuring that the container is only used for drinking water rather than washing clothes, feeding livestock, etc.
- A clip-on cap that hygienically seals the bucket is attached to the lid, so that people do not need to improvise caps if the original lid is lost. The large 100 mm hole minimises spillage when filling from a hand pump, and allows easy cleaning.
- The tap means water can be safely distributed without putting dirty receptacles into the water.
The Jerry Bucket retains all the other benefits of the original design:
- Stackability: The Jerry Bucket’s stackable feature allows easy distribution in large numbers, which significantly reduces freight costs.
- Durability: Many collapsible water containers have a short life span in arduous refugee camp conditions, but the Jerry Bucket will last many years. When unloaded in the ﬁeld, lids should be snapped on before distribution and beneﬁciaries should be encouraged not to remove them. The buckets are designed for ﬁrst phase emergency situations but are ideal for any water-carrying operation.
More than just a bucket
Why the life-saving Jerry Bucket should be on your ‘bucket list’ of relief essentials:
- It comes with a new HDPE lid that is tightly ﬁtted to the body through an improved rimlock design and that is extremely diﬃcult to remove. It keeps water in and insects, germs, and dirt out.
- It has a larger 100 mm lid opening with a clip-on cap to allow people to pour in water without removing the lid. This prevents spillage and allows easy cleaning.
- It is made of durable UV-resistant plastic that will not deteriorate in harsh sunlight.
- It is very easy to clean, thanks to the curved edges at the base that prevent bacteria from accumulating.
- It is stackable for easy distribution in large numbers.
- Its 14-litre capacity holds a lot of water, but it is not too heavy when full.
- It is smooth and spike-free on the base so that people can comfortably carry it on their heads.
To view the Jerry Bucket’s technical specifications sheet, click here.